The Reveal Agent is designed to be as lightweight as possible to avoid impacting performance of its host machine, however depending on the machine workload it may appear that the agent is consuming more CPU or memory than expected, even on a system that otherwise does not appear to be heavily loaded. For example, during a virus scan, a very large number of files will be accessed which may temporarily increase the number of file events the agent has to process. One other scenario maybe if other monitoring agents are present and processing a large number of files in the background.
In such cases, we recommend customers collect performance metrics from both the Reveal Agent, and the host operating system to send to the Ava Support team for analysis. With this data we can investigate if there is any way to optimise the agent to reduce the load, or if this is a consequence of an incompatibility that requires a workaround.
To collect performance data from the agent, open an administrative command prompt or powershell, and run:
"C:\Program Files\Jazz Networks\Agent\agent.exe" debug bundle -s 60 -t 120 -v
This will take two minutes to run and collects 60 seconds of performance data from the agent, in addition to the normal debug bundle data. The name of the zip file will be displayed, having been placed in the same directory that the command was run from.
To collect performance data from the whole system, you should use the Windows Performance Monitor.
- Click the Windows Start menu and search for "performance".
- Right-click Performance Monitor and then click Run as administrator.
- In the left pane, click Data Collector Sets.
- Open System and and select System Performance
- Right click on System Performance and click Start
- Allow the profiling to run for 1-2 minutes
- Right click on System Performance and click Stop
- The files will be placed into C:\PerfLogs\System\Performance\<Computer Name>
- Zip up the contents of the folder to attach to a support case at https://support.ava.uk